Blog-Blocked

Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Phoenix, Part 2

So Don and I are on week 2 of the program.  Yes, it's incredibly difficult.  I won't get too detailed about the program, but one thing I will say is that it makes you work out more than you think you need to.  You do exercise after exercise and when you think you're near the end, the video shows 33 minutes left.  My theory is that the human body has adapted to tell itself to stop at a certain point.  It's the point that, once surpassed, the body will no longer be able to defend itself from predators (or even hunt prey), neither after the workout, nor once soreness kicks in.  The body then does all it can do to adapt and get stronger for next time.

There's plenty of times that I've gone to the gym, felt the burn, and come home.  For me, the magic of P90X is having someone there telling you not to go home, but to keep going.  I think that's why athletes, who train as a group under a coach, usually get better results from their workouts than those who exercise on their own.  If there wasn't such an emphasis on completing workouts in P90X, even if that means longer and/or more frequent breaks, then it'd be so easy for me to do half the workout thinking that I'd work up to doing the full one.

Anyways, don't worry, I'll post pics for everyone after week 13.  Yeah right.  As hard as it is, I really like it.  It's hard to schedule sometimes because Don and I both have responsibilities (his wife just had their 3rd child in December!), and there's something scheduled everyday, but we've been doing alright so far.

The first week of classes has been pretty slow.  I'm trying to get a job in the tutoring center here at Las Positas.  I can't tutor at DVC this semester since I'm not taking classes there anymore.  This semester will hopefully be my last at community college.  I should hear back from the places I've applied to by April.  I'm taking Physics 8C (Oscillations, Waves, Thermodynamics, Light and Optics), Math 5 (Ordinary Differential Equations), Engineering 44 and 46 (Materials of Engineering and Introduction to Circuit Analysis).  It totals 15.5 units, which is the fewest I've taken since coming back from the mission.  Since I'm not tutoring yet, my schedule looks drastically empty compared to last semester.  Though I am worried about having time to workout once I do start working.

I'm hoping I can get enough hours tutoring so I can justify not working weekends.  It's not that I just don't want to have to work those days, but having a full school load and a weekend job makes it hard to take Merilee out to do things.  I just feel that we don't get to do enough fun stuff together because of all the school and stuff I'm always engrossed in.  She doesn't complain, but for example, I'm sure she liked that I was able to play Ultimate last Saturday.

Anyways, life is good, this blog is long. Six months of marriage down, the rest of eternity to go.

Woops!  I was supposed to post this like a week and a half ago!  My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment