Blog-Blocked

Saturday, February 23, 2013

I Should Get Nerd Glasses

Today was another day at the Chalet.  I hate my job.  I'll be the first to tell you that you should always be grateful for what you have and everything.  That being said, I really hate my job, the Chalet job anyways.  I guess I have three jobs total.  Someday.  Someday I will have a job that is worth my time, that doesn't involve spending every sunny weekend under florescent lights, that doesn't require me to listen to the same 5 song playlist for 8 hours straight, and that actually pays enough to pay my bills.  Today is not that day.

My other two jobs aren't bad.  I tutor for a learning center and for DVC.  Even DVC pays better than the Chalet, and I can usually get homework done in between students who need help.  Homework!  You know you are a deprived nerd when you long for those hours when you have time to do your physics homework.

The school week went well.  I got two exams back.  Guess who's a master at chemical kinetics?  That's right, Alicia.  She sits in front of me in lab and got 100%.  Guess who else?  That's right, me.  I would have gotten 100% if I had punched in a decimal correctly in my calculator when calculating the first order decomposition of hydrogen peroxide using the half-life of the integrated rate law.  I bet you don't even know what I'm talking about.  Don't I feel smart?

I actually am starting to feel smarter (after almost two years of college).  I'm finally in a math class that you can't take in high school.  My physics class so far is going really smoothly (I'm infinitely glad that I took the intro class last semester).  Chemistry is just dandy as well.

The other exam I had was a nutrition exam.  Compared to my other classes, it just seems like a joke.  Having read In Defense of Food doesn't help.  Nutrition is good but I don't like the ideology behind it.  Daily values and all that jazz just seems like garbage to me.  Like saying that 65g of fat is what you should eat is just insane.  Maybe I just feel that way because I have CF and I'm always just eating everything I can between classes and tutoring and work and I've never had to watch my diet.  Whatevs.  I'm biased.  I still aced the test.  I just regret having to waste time going to the lectures.

By the way, here's the quote I didn't have from last week: 

"There is a certain sociality in the presence of God that manifests itself in a fulness of joy... To be cast from the presence of the Holy One is estrangement of the worst kind. It is to take from us that which means most - our sense of belonging to the divine family. It is to strip us of security and self-worth in one fatal blow. It is like tearing the suckling babe from her mother’s bosom, sending the wayward child to his room, or sentencing the incorrigible to solitary confinement. It is akin to restricting our communication with a loved one to the telephone; the lines can be clear, the conversation frequent, but the happiness that comes from being in another’s physical presence is missing."

No comments:

Post a Comment