Blog-Blocked

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Lemonade. Too acidic and too sour.

What's that expression?  If/When life gives you lemons... what do you do? Squeeze them?  Eat them?  Construct a lemon launcher and take out those pesky squirrels in your backyard?  I know the phrase really says to make lemonade, but I dislike lemonade.  Actually, I just prefer orange juice much more.  I really do.  Whenever it's on sale at either Safeway or Target, I stock up with about 6 or 7 jugs, enough to last me until they're on sale again.  Target doesn't keep as many in stock as Safeway, which is unfortunate sometimes.

I always get the Minute Made Kids kind, which is fortified with vitamins and calcium.  It says for kids but really, who wouldn't want fortification?  My doctor actually said that my vitamin D levels were low, so there, I'm justified.  Though I guess they have the kind with just extra vitamin D and calcium... whatever.

Some people dislike orange juice because of its pulp or sweetness.  I like it with pulp, without pulp, anywhere in between, and with any degree of sweetness.  The only kind of orange juice I really don't like is the fake kind they give you at the free breakfasts at hotels.  That's not really orange juice, it's watered down fake stuff.  Orange juice is so good for you too.  I learned in my nutrition class this last week that a half cup of it counts as a serving of fruit.  To sum up my love for orange juice, I love it so bad, I could have it all day, everyday, forever and ever, and never get bored of it.

The only problem is, I don't have any oranges.  Instead, life has given me lemons.  What am I to do?  My taste buds yearn only for that perfect sweetness that comes from the OJ.  Lemonade is usually really sugary.  Have you heard of any benefits of lemonade?  I haven't.  And don't tell me about them if they exist; I don't want to hear it.  Lemonade is too sour, and its acidity makes my stomach feel like its being corroded from within.

Okay, I ask the question again.  What am I to do?  It is a serious and unfortunate dilemma.  My will is directly opposed to what has been made available to me.  I most certainly will not make lemonade.  The effort would only go to waste.  I cannot change lemons into oranges, and I don't have a backyard full of pesky squirrels.  I've been delt a hand in life and it's really sad to not have what I want and what I feel I need.  I know I should try lemonade again and try to forget how good the orange juice was.  I know I believe that if I did that, I'd be happy.  I guess that's the problem.  What I know and believe isn't necessarily what I want.

And yes, I'm talking about juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment