Blog-Blocked

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Suits and Sofa Bears

So today I was at least semi-productive, which is pretty good for a Saturday.  I woke up at 7:30, actually I woke up around 6:00 or 6:30, but I thought that it was obnoxious to be getting up so early, so I didn't get up until 7:30.  I guess defeating obnoxiousness was my first feat of the day.  After that I had a snack and went for a run.  And now I've been coughing up junk all morning.  That's what I get for not running for like a month.  I jogged over to Emerald Glen park about a mile from my house and did sprints and stuff in front of about 10 elderly Asians doing Tai Chi in the area with the basketball hoops. I've never had such calming music to listen to while exercising. I usually just jog with no music at all. That way the sofa bears won't know.

Feat number two, or three if you count running, was eating breakfast. I also went over to Macy's and gave them my suit jacket to get altered. I got it like two months ago and just haven't gotten around to getting it done. I figured a $200 or so gift for Christmas should finally get some use, and I had time this morning before work. I got some guitar time in, scheduled a PPI for tomorrow with someone in the Elder's Quorum. How many feats is that? Like 6? I'm on fire.

I went to the Temple last night to do a session and try to get some sealings done for some names that were found in my dad's apartment.  I'll have to go back to do the sealings later because the people in the office said that I needed to double check Familysearch to make sure that the parents were sealed first.  I had  great time anyways.  It was the biggest group I remember seeing.  I don't usually do evening sessions. It took a while to get everyone through the veil.

I had some valuable insights during the session. At work I had been reading in The Infinite Atonement during my lunch. I hadn’t finished the chapter that I was in so I finished reading it in the Temple parking lot. The chapter was about the Fall. The last bit that I had read in the parking lot talked a lot about what being in or away from God’s presence means and it gave me some new perspectives that I hadn’t thought of before. During the session, I was able to think about it from a little different perspective. There’s a good quote from the book that I really liked but it’s down in the car so I’ll have to get it later.

While waiting for my turn at the veil, I was thinking about this valuable lesson that I had learned. Going to the Temple without prior study and preparation is like going to a nice restaurant without bringing your wallet. You can probably go in and sit down. They might even bring you a glass of water for you to enjoy while you soak up the beautiful ambiance and the company of friends. However, you will leave hungry. At the nicest restaurants of all, you should be eating your fill and then getting a box for the leftovers, not leaving hungry, right? This ain't Denny’s where you just leave whatever you didn’t feel like eating on your plate.  

I regret doing that too many times.  I've gone to the Temple plenty of times when I wasn't reading scriptures or anything really and it wasn't nearly as uplifting as last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment